Paris is the capital of the «revue» shows that bring together music, dance and sketches. Whilst certain places have declined from their golden age, other Parisian cabarets have undergone a complete revival with a huge variety of shows on offer.
Here are our top 5 Parisian Cabarets:
MODERN: LE CRAZY HORSE
With «Désirs», which has been running since 2009, Philippe Decouflé has taken this famous location, opened in 1951, and brought it back to life. He has resumed certain codes (black bob wigs, high heels, lipstick) whilst twisting them with poetry, irony and off-beat humor. It’s a marvellous visual spectacle thanks to dazzling lighting and wall projections.
Prices starting from €85
- Address: 12, avenue George-V, 75008 Paris
- TeL: 01.47.23.32.32
- Performance times: Sunday-Friday (20.15 and 22.45) and Saturdays (19.00, 21.30 and 23.45)
+ We like: The regular guest stars
– We don’t like: no sit-down dinner
Its latest revue sets its sights high. Run by Granco Dragone, formerly of the Cirque du Soleil, it combines tradition, innovation, the cancan and the latest technology (image synthesis, high definition graphics on LED screens, fibre-optic outfits) to recreate Paris of the 30s with a hint of Las Vegas.
Prices: show only: €115, including dinner: €165
- Address: 116 bis Av, des Champs Élysées – 75008 Paris
- Tel : 01.40.76.56.10
- Performance times: Showing nightly from April onwards (dinner-show at 19.00, show only at 21.00 and 23.00h).
+ We like: they don’t skimp on the budget
– We don’t like: Try not to lose your soul…
INTIMATE: LA NOUVELLE SEINE
Open for 2 years, this little theater-restaurant opens its stage in the tradition of an American burlesque show, which is very much in fashion. It’s a male and female strip show balanced with comedy and poetry. Depending on the artists invited, the barge moored at the foot of Notre-Dame draws in rock and retro music fans….
- Address: Péniche sur berge, face au 3 quai de Montebello, 75005
- Tel: 01.43.54.08.08
- Performance times:Tuesdays at 23.00
+ We like: the variety of performances
– We don’t like: the boat rocks a bit….
Like its founder, the 80 something Michel Catty, this cabaret hasn’t aged a bit since 1956. It’s a show that’s both kitsch and direct show in which transvestite men emulate the talent of distinguished female singers. The tone is both comic, as seen in the parody of Amy Winehouse, and touching, with the hommage paid to Dalida, another great figure immortalized in Montmartre.
Prices: Show only, at the bar: €32, seated with a glass of wine: €65, with dinner: €110-140
- Address: 80, Rue des Martyrs 75008
- Tel: 01.46.06.16.04
- Performance times: Daily: dinner at 20.00, show at 22.30
+ We like: A feel-good show
– We don’t like: A slightly cramped space
MYTHICAL: MOULIN ROUGE
Since 1889 this has been the most mythical and famous cabaret in the world. Its Féerie show has been running since 1999 and involves no fewer than 80 performers, including 60 Doriss Girls recruited from all over the world. Almost 1000 costumes have been produced in some of Paris’ best-known studios; the stage is splendidly decorated with unique designs by Italian artists for performances and unique acts like the Giant Aquarium.
Prices : show only from €90, with dinner from €190
- Address: 82 Boulevard de Clichy, 75018, Paris
- Tel : 01 53 09 82 82
- Performance times: Open daily: dinner-show at 19.00, show-only at 21.00 and 23.00..
+ We like: The mythical Doriss Girls who dance the most famous French Cancan in the world!
– We don’t like : Its touristy feel