Want to get a taxi but don’t know how to use them? Check out the following Lodgis tips that will help you get a taxi in Paris!
What is a Parisian taxi?
Unlike the conspicuous New York yellow taxis, it is more difficult to distinguish between Parisian taxis and other cars, but they work just as well!
- Unlike New York yellow taxis and London black cabs, Parisian taxis are not identifiable by their color but by the “TAXI” sign on the roof.
- It’s not easy to catch a taxi in Paris’ streets. You can try to hail one, but the easiest way to get one is at a taxi ranks.
- Taxi fares in Paris: Using Parisian taxis is expensive. Depending on the distance (kilometers traveled) and how long the ride takes, the taxi meter calculates the total amount to be paid, including 2.60€ for service +1.05€ per kilometer traveled or 32€/ hour in case of traffic delays. The minimum fare is 6.40€
- To avoid traffic jams, there are special routes for taxis and buses, so you can get a cab even if the traffic is bad.
How and where to get a taxi?
You can call a taxi anytime (24 hour service) and anywhere on: 01 45 30 30 30. You can also book a taxi for a specific time:
- Alpha Taxis: 01 45 85 85 85
- Taxis bleus: “Green” taxis (to lower CO2 emissions). Book online using the iPhone app
- Taxis G7: 01 47 39 47 39 – 3607 (0,15c/min). Book online using the iPhone app
- Libertytrans:0 826 628 730 (Fr) or 33 (1) 39 46 47 81 (International) – Book online
Beware! It’s not always easy to get a taxi at peak times, between 12 pm and 2 am.
How to take a taxi in Paris
To hail a taxi, check if the neon sign (white or green) is on. Once you’ve got in the taxi, tell the driver where you want to go. He’s not allowed to refuse you, regardless of your destination. Feel free to tell the driver if you know a quicker way to get there. Sometimes they deliberately take detours to increase the total amount you’ll have to pay! You can pay in cash or by card (if the taxi has a card device). You may pay extras if you take the taxi at night, if you have additional luggage (each additional bag can be charged at 1€) or there’s more than 1 passenger.
Make sure you don’t forget anything!
The driver might put the radio or start a conversation with you. Don’t be alarmed!
Don’t want to carry cash?
There are solutions:
- MoovCard: this prepaid card gives you priority access when booking a taxi (in most taxi companies).
The cost of the subscription is 9.99€ per month on a contract and 19€ with no contract required (+ the credit amount).
VTC (Voiture de Transport avec Chauffeur): This is a luxury car service with a driver you have to pay for. More than 7212 people in France use VTC. Find some VTC companies below:
- Club Chauffeur: Book a car with the iPhone app or Google Play (you can track the vehicle) at a reduced price: 0.66/min. The company will automatically charge your credit card (registered at the time of booking) for the journey fare.
- Uber: Book a car (with a personal driver) using the smartphones app (iPhone or Google Play). It’s cheaper expensive than a taxi and has an excellent price/performance ratio. You can track the vehicles and estimate the cost of the ride. Your credit card will automatically be charged at the end of the journey.
We hope these tips will help you use taxis with ease and feel like a true Parisian!
If you want to know how to travel between Paris and its airports, just check out our article “How to get to Paris from Roissy Charles de Gaulle airport” and “How to get to Paris from Orly airport”. Easy!