Want to get a taxi but don’t know how to use them? Check out the following tips that will help you get a taxi in Paris!
What is a Parisian taxi?
Unlike the conspicuous New York yellow taxis, it is more difficult to distinguish between Parisian taxis and other cars, but they work just as well!
4 things you should know about Parisian taxis:
- Unlike New York yellow taxis and London black cabs, Parisian taxis are not identifiable by their color but by the “TAXI” sign on the roof.
- It’s not easy to catch a taxi in Paris’ streets: You can try to hail one, but they are most easily in taxi ranks.
- Taxi fares in Paris: Using Parisian taxis is expensive. Depending on the distance (per kilometer traveled) and how long the ride takes, the taxi meter calculates the global amount to be paid including: 2.60€ for service +1.05€ per kilometer traveled or 32€/ hour in case of traffic delays.Minimum fare per journey: 6.40€
- To avoid traffic jams, special routes have been created and are reserved for taxis and buses so you can get a taxi if you need to go to the airport or the train station even when the traffic is bad.
How and where to get a taxi?
You can call a taxi anytime (24 hour service) and anywhere on: 01 45 30 30 30.
You can also book a taxi for a specific time:
- Alpha Taxis: 01 45 85 85 85
- Taxis bleus: “Green” taxis (to lower CO2 emissions). Book online using the iPhone app
- Taxis G7: 01 47 39 47 39 – 3607 (0,15c/min). Book online using the iPhone app
- Libertytrans:0 826 628 730 (Fr) or 33 (1) 39 46 47 81 (International) – Book online
Beware! It’s not always easy to get a taxi at peak times: between 12 pm and 2 am.
How to take a taxi in Paris in 5 steps
- To hail a taxi, check if the neon sign (white or green) is on.
- Once you’ve got in the taxi, tell the driver where you want to go. He has no right to refuse you, regardless of your destination.
- Feel free to tell the driver if you know a quicker way to get there. Sometimes they deliberately take detours to increase the total amount you’ll have to pay.
- You can pay in cash or by card (if the taxi has a card device). You may pay extras if you take the taxi at night, if you have additional luggage (each additional bag can be charged at 1€) or more than 1 passenger.
- Make sure you don’t forget anything!
The driver might put the radio or start a conversation with you. Don’t be alarmed!
Don’t want to carry cash?
We can offer solutions:
MoovCard: is a prepaid card that0 gives you priority access when booking a taxi (in most taxi companies)
The cost of the subscription is 9.99€ per month on a contract and 19€ with no contract required (+ the credit amount).
VTC (Voiture de Transport avec Chauffeur): it’s a luxury car service with a driver you have to pay for.
In France: more than 7212 people use VTC. Please see some VTC companies below:
Club Chauffeur: To book a car you can use the iPhone app or Google Play (you can track the vehicle) at a reduced price: 0.66/min.
The company will automatically charge your credit card (registered at the time of booking) for the journey fare.
Uber: Book a car (with a personal driver) using smartphones apps (iPhone or Google Play). It’s more expensive than a taxi but with an excellent price/performance ratio. You can track the vehicles and estimate the cost of the ride (Choose the closest one!). The company will automatically charge your credit card at the end of the journey.